CNBC - The Bottom Is In! L.O.L.

Last night I was feeling slightly down and depressed, I really needed a good laugh. So I switched on the only thing that can do that. Not Comedy Central, not Night at the Apollo, not even Richard Pryor Stand up, I switched on CNBC. I was intrigued as some talking heads jabbered away similar to South Park's depiction of a Canadian (I intend no offense with that reference.). There was a man; his name escapes me, making large claims. He was talking about how the recession will officially end in the next quarter. Quite a broad claim when you see reports of increased foreclosures, etc, etc. Keep in mind these are the same talking heads that denied we would be in a recession. But what really intrigued me was not what this man was saying, but what the Fast Money people were doing. They were playing a game of reverse psychology with the viewers.

There was an Asian Lady on the show who literally acted like she was hanging on this man's every word. She actually asked this: "Are we too late to get in the markets to take advantage of this recovery?" And many of the others chattered to the same effect. They tried to hint that you were, in fact, too late to take advantage of the recovery, but they tried to not push this notion too far as to convince the viewer's they were too late. The man spoke of a stock that had doubled in value recently, but was still down 90% from its high. He spoke of the value, and all I could think of was a sheep herder rounding up the viewers.

At that moment, it was quite hilarious to watch, in hindsight, quite scary. I feel bad for all who are being misled by these people they place their faith in. Perhaps I shouldn't, as some would say, they choose to follow these people.

0 comments:

Post a Comment